Monday 7 January 2013

Riding/walking with your iPhone - s/ware, settings, kit

With a bit of care the iPhone can be an asset when you're outdoors - I use it for mapping and tracking runs, walks and bike rides. Strangely, the communications aspect of it is least important; as you'll see later I disable wifi and cellular data to conserve the battery a lot of the time.

Clearly, if you're walking (in particular) you need a proper map and compass. Cross-check with them regularly - you can't be certain that the iPhone hasn't gone quietly nuts.

What I want is:

  • A detailed map, available off-line so it's not sucking battery, using data allowance or relying on 3G when out in the great outdoors
  • A track of my activity
  • Options to conserve battery


There are quite a few integrated mapping & activity solutions out there but I don't want all my eggs in one basket; I've got a suite of software which allows me to chop and change mapping & activity apps.

1. Map it

Personally I like to map the ride using the classic GMap Pedometer:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

I don't have a GMap account, so I simply save the map shortcut as public and save the shortcut for later.

Then I click a shortcut with this URL I got from here. This opens a little JavaScript window which generates a GPX file which I then save with a .GPX extension.

I use Gaia GPS on my iPhone, which means I can email my GPX file to upload@gaiagps.com as described here. It comes back as a link in an email - opening that link imports it into Gaia.

The reason for using Gaia is that it allows you to download all the maps in advance so you don't rely on a mobile connection to download the maps as you go. The maps have been pretty good so far and it's got a lot the OpenCycle routes shown already as a map overlay.

That gives you all the maps and a track ready to follow.

2. Turn everything off

That's the rule; turn everything you need off on the iPhone. I've not tried simply engaging flight mode because that might impact the GPS. Instead I turn off:


  • Wifi (no sense in it seeking for a network when you're in the great outdoors)
  • Cellular data - all of it (because you don't need it)
  • Phone (because hunting for the next cell costs power)
  • Auto lock screen (because there's nothing more irritating than it going to the lock screen when you want to know whether it's a right or left turn next)
  • Bluetooth - not required.

Ideally there'd be a 'profile' setting which would allow me to do this in one go.

When I move to a Bluetooth cadence sensor clearly that'll have to stay on.

Gaia also allows (in the latest version) you to turn off automatic GPS acquisition, so it'll only acquire and record your position on request. This is a great battery saver.

If you can turn off the screen then doing so will save a lot of battery. With the screen on constantly but all other settings as above, my iPhone 4 burns at most about 10% an hour. Screen off it'll last all day.

3. Onto the bike/trail

Hopefully you've got an iPhone holder and a way of keeping it dry on your handlebars, or you're going to fall off trying to retrieve it. If you're on a signed course, you could put it in a saddle bag or triathlon bag and forget about it (see link below).

iPhone 5 users will find limited mounting options at the moment - Topeak have a mount scheduled for spring '13.

Walkers can put it in a pocket or backpack. I've got one of these which is padded and just fits my iPhone 5 (it's fine with a 4/4S) though these would do fine too if it's going in a pocket not surrounded by scratchy things.

If you're out and about for a long time (say, days walking or a few hours on the bike) then an external battery pack is an option. I get 4 full charges out of one of these at a cost of 300g or so. On the bike you can put it in a triathlon bag near the bars and have it plugged in for the duration if required.

I've tried solar chargers - don't bother.

I'll keep running with this and try to build some sort of profile of the likely performance, screen on/off and bluetooth on/off.

No comments: